I really struggled with this one. Over all in the end I was happy with how it turned out. Not even close to the picture I used for inspiration. It was an owl. Not sure what people see when they look at those piercing eyes. I am finding more and more, I use less of the picture and just do what my painting soul tells me to do.
This painting is not very big, its about 7 inches by 9 inches done on 300 pound with Just slightly textured surface. I love the heavy papers.. no taping no stretching and no curling.
Hey there, day 22 8 days to go before this challenge is done. WOW amazed I’m keeping up. This little painting is about 2 inches by 4 inches done on a piece of ripped watercolor paper. So very rough edges 300 pound cold pressed paper. The heavier the paper the more water it can take.
Just a quick paint and post, a little yellow flower that grows in my garden. This painting is only 2 inches by 2 inches on arches paper. I guess I’m looking forward to spring with all these flower pictures. Have a great day.
Day 20 Happy to say I’ve been keeping up with the challenge. Not overly happy with this one. The wintery scene just looks static, the river is going up hill.. almost like it is a road way. Will promise myself to do this one over, at a later date.
Just having fun with washes the last few days. Trying not to get to heavy with the paint. Nothing too special not any major techniques other than wet in wet. I did let things dry a little bit. Trying to learn to be patient. I must pull out the hair dryer that may help the situation. This was a scene from a picture I took up in North Conway NH
I just had a hankering to play with my Blue and Yellow watercolors. To experiment with stripes of each blue and then adding a yellow wash on each blue to see how they looked. I let the blue completely dry . Then added a medium wash of each yellow with out disturbing the bottom color. This way the bottom color shows through the top color and changes the look.
This is a bit different from what I usually do in my paintings.. Typically I bring two colors side by side and let them mingle and do their thing, and or mix it in the palette. I’ve added the beginnings of this project below. Which began with just drawing lines, adding the painting name at the top and sides. Then proceeded painting each blue, after they where totally dry did a medium wash of yellow over the blue. I think lighter washes would probably work better. When this technique is done right it can be so beautiful.
Playing catch up, I found two paintings I had started years ago and decided to just experiment. My goal was to darken the back ground and make the flowers pop color wise. My personal opinion is first one with the two pansies are ok.. the bottom single one.. not so good. Over worked. Typically I would not share these but , for the spirit of doing 30 in 30 I will. Its what I have worked on, for the project.
Tomorrow I will post something a bit different for day 17. Basically coloring between the lines. Experimenting with all my blues and yellows. Painting a stripe of each blue and then doing a wash over the blues. Not quite done but will be for tomorrow.
Bass harbor light house on Mt Dessert Island Maine. This painting measures 5×7 inches on arches 300 watercolor paper. I am also posting a WIP picture and the actual picture used for inspiration. The Wip photos are very few because of how quickly these small paintings progress. Not to many stopping points. Very quick rendering.
This painting is a small 5 x 7 size, watercolor. Today was Friday the 13th and a full moon as well. So this one feels over worked for me. I should have stopped a while ago doing those greens on the bottom. I’ve included a few pictures as a work in progress. Also the actual photo I took. There is a lot more in the photo like flowers and a wall to the right. I needed to keep it simple to actually finish it for today.