Day 10 of 30 Painting challenge Jan2017

dscn3957

Small painting of a tulip that is wide open.  This painting measures 3 x 7 inches. Watercolor Daniel smith paints and arches 300 pound watercolor paper.

Day 2 of 30 paintings a day

 

dscn3939
My Little Maiden Fern

Here is my contribution to my 30 in 30 challenge.   Day 2  I did a small painting 5 X 7  on arches watercolor paper .   I do not spend a lot of time painting these.  I probably spend about 1 hour from start to finish.   Its wonderful to sketch loosely   and keep the painting loose as well.  I am typically a very tight painter and typically spend a lot of time drawing out and painting.  So this is very good to work out.. being loose.  🙂

AH..Finally have my painting corner all fixed up!!

I’m all set up and ready to roll.  My helper “Turkey” is making sure everything is there for me.  So Lets just say the upstairs bedroom did not do the job.  It was very  dark and very cramped.  Hated to go in there.  I moved it all downstairs.. set up a big table so I can spread out.. yeah.

Paint palette used a mixture of Windsor red/ Aureolin /  French Ultramarine and cobalt blue..  this is it!  Still keeping in mind working with mouse colors.  I think this is why I choose this white flower to paint those “grays” but finding it is harder than it looks.  I’m virtually new to this even though I use to paint about 10 years ago.

white flower 006 white flower 007

white flower 011 white flower 014

I know this painting so far looks very soft in color but it is very  yellow in real life.  The yellow is very washed out in the picture.white flower 015

Painting number two using the same picture for inspiration but going its own way.  Very blue/purple with some yellow, I had hoped it would be more realistic like the picture.  I guess painting “white” is not as easy as it looks. lol.  I’m going to focus on these two and just go with it.  Maybe once the back ground is added it will look better.  After wards I just may give it another try.   To see if I can get that perfect greyish color to make this white flower look as it should.

white flower 016 white flower 017 white flower 018 white flower 019

Tulips from long ago (step by step)

This is the final painting of theses tulips, but the pictures following it show the progression of this painting.   I used a limited palette , and for me that is very difficult.  It was done on fabulous Fabriano watercolor paper..  Rough 600 g/m2 .  This paper does not need to be stretched and  can take loads of water.

The story behind this painting is short and sweet, I started it last year sometime.  Of course my artistic plans and thoughts where totally different from what they are now.  So it started out one way and ended up another.  I started out with a pastel painting soft and very transparent to what you see here.  It got very heavy and dark, felt like some areas got muddy.  As I worked on it, I did not feel it was going in the direction I originally wanted, but felt I would see it to the end.  Sometimes paintings have a way of painting them selves.  You just have to go with.  Also being the first in a long time this was truly a getting to know my medium again and brushes.   Thank you for taking a look, I will probably post this on wet canvas to get critiques.  We all can learn from one another that is my goal here.Image

This was my first layer of paint and light pencil drawing.  Unfortunately my cat max (maine coon) loves pictures… he loves to chew them.. so he got a hold of this one and put his fine mark on it.

ImageImage

This is where i picked it up from last year  and started laying color in.. Image

Added some back ground and worked on the leaves and flower more

Image

I really love when the water added causes these interesting reactions.. moving the paint around.  I also like to mix my colors on the paper.  more reactive looking.Image

At this point I really started adding my darks.. to make things pop.ImageImage

for a few days I let it sit…  not sure if I wanted to call it done…  sometimes you just have to stop.  I have great difficulties in that.   Actually I probably could have stopped on this one along time ago .  But kept going..

.Image

I was liking the missing lines in areas..  where the back ground and subject sort of mesh in..  There is a term for this but for the life of me I can’t think of it right now.  Ah Yes I remember now… Lost  Edges.   Unfortunately I did lose the stem to this tulip.  Not happy with that.    After several days of just letting sit and having me walk by it and glancing at it from time to time.  I decided to add some black lines.. to redefine lines.  This was not my “vision” for this painting.  It was  my time to  work on reacquainting myself with the watercolor paints and brushes.  So No matter what I was going to see this one to the end.  Good or Bad.  Not a total lost there are things I like about it.

Image

This was my final addition to this painting… just adding a wee bit of detail.

DSCN3759

these are the actual colors and mixes I used on this painting.  They look so much better here… as I said I was a bit heavy handed with the painting..  I usually enjoy more transparency.Image

My first post, one of many I hope.

I have one little bunch that shows up in the spring.. I captured them in watercolor.

My very first painting for the showing..  this was before life got in the way.  I use to really enjoy creating art.  I still do!  But have not made the time.  2012 will be different.  I begin by looking back, and sharing where i’ve been.   Happy Holidays to all who stop by.  Diane